Burgh and District
Leagues played in: East Lindsey League
Taken from Bats about Burgh: The Cricketing Chronicle of a Lincolnshire Village, 1900-2000 by ‘Bob on the Boundary’
It is thought that cricket was first played in Burgh-le-Marsh in the 19th century, though the earliest recorded match was not until 1939, when Burgh played Skegness Gasworks. The 1940 scorebook contains details of 11 matches, against various teams from the armed forces including the King’s Shropshire Light Infantry. When the village side was revived after the war, the RAF helped by supplying kit.
In May 1951, according to the Skegness Standard:
“After an evening’s practice, attended by 12 prospective players, a supporters’ meeting was convened at the Fleece Hotel. There CV Holmes reported that several clubs were willing to offer fixtures; many of those present offered to supply equipment, and Mr P Holmes promised a new bat for the Club, when the first individual 50 had been scored!”
Burgh’s GP Dr Collinson became the club’s first President and captain. The club played entirely friendly matches until 1978, when they joined the new East Lindsey League. A Burgh Junior League was instigated by Nigel Rylance, then Head of PE at Skegness Grammar School, in 1980 and in 1981the club formed the evening Burgh Pub League. Hundreds of youngsters participated in the Burgh Junior League over the years and many made the successful transition into senior cricket.
Early matches were played at Featherstone’s Field, next to Tinker’s Green, which had to be fenced off to keep the cows at bay, before the club moved to the present ground in Station Road in 1955. A pavilion was built by CV Holmes at a cost of £125. The ground was purchased in the late 1970s with the help of the National Playing Fields Association and the pavilion has subsequently been extended.