Leagues played in: Lincoln & District League
Contact details: Helen Ash, email@example.com
July 1880: in the Deanery and Graffoe Parish Magazine it was reported that the cricket match was rained off – this was an away game at Swinderby. The team included E.Marfleet, O.Johnson, Worsdall and J.Gent. This is the earliest record to hand of Bassingham Cricket Club.
During the early years of the 20th century Bassingham played on the Carlton Road. Mr.Moorshead and Dr.Johnson were two well known residents who played there. (The Johnson family was linked with the club until Tom Johnson resigned as President in 1983) The heavy roller was horse drawn and special covers were placed on the horses’ hooves to save marking the wicket.
Bassingham then played on land now farmed by the Vasey family near the Doctor’s surgery (previously farmed by Harry Tinley – one time captain). There were no Sunday matches in those days but the stock was removed from the field for Saturday and Bank Holiday games. The special match was the Whit Monday game against the Theological students from Kelham Hall, Newark. See photograph – circa 1931. Home team players and supporters included George Taylor, George Clark, Phil Taylor, Hind Ash (holding shield), Ralph Ash, Albert Poucher, Ted Walker, Lew Tindall, Hedley Battersby, Ted Battersby, Eric Law, Mrs.Blanche Bates, Mrs.Elsie Hammond and Ted Walker who was wicket keeper. He recalled that Rev.Pocock provided lunch for the visitors and they enjoyed rhubarb and custard as pudding. “A” shaped steps were made so that players could take a short cut into the Rectory Garden. When Bassingham played at Kelham the tea was always bread and jam. Father Gabrielle was the Umpire for the Kelham team and Brother Julian played for the team but other players’ names have been forgotten.
The Chapel Youth club fielded a team during the late 1940s and teas were served by the girls in the Methodist schoolroom.
The present Playing field was purchased as a Memorial field after World War II and in 1950 Dr.Marchment instigated the laying of a cricket square which was pegged out by Walter Hunt. As the playing field was light and sandy heavier soil was obtained from the drainage works at Aubourn Fen and was carted by George Taylor on his coal lorry. Most of the work was carried out by voluntary labour including William Tindale, who was retired. He spent many hours riddling and levelling the surface. Later quantities of marl were purchased to improve the wicket.
To celebrated the opening of the cricket square in 1953 a match was played against representatives from the neighbouring clubs and the score sheets and photographs of teams can be seen on the laminated sheet. A number of score books, including a 1947 youth club team score book have been deposited at the Archives. These reveal a number of outstanding performances such as LEN LAW
117 not out against Claytons, HARRY DAVIES took 6 wickets for 22 runs against North Hykeham, ERIC LAW 8 wickets for 21 runs against Harby and ALBERT LAW 100 not out against Muskham and Bathley.
Other score sheets have been noted show the visiting teams on top. For example East Bridgford 347 for 4 in 34 overs – was this the highest score against Bassingham? Or Bassingham all out for 8 runs against Thorpe on the Hill. Was this the lowest score?
For many years only one cup was awarded annually by the club – this had been given by Miss.Brocklebank. In later years when cups were awarded for Best Batting, best bowling, etc. the original cup was awarded for most work for the club. i.e. Bill Peacock for his work on the wicket, Sue Wright for organising teas.
Friendly matches only were played until the 1980s, when the club joined the Lincoln League and the Newark Alliance. The Pavilion was erected in 1982 and water, etc. was paid on before the first benefit match.
Three benefit matched have been organised by Bassingham 1987, 1989 and 1991 – see programmes. Players and spectators alike enjoyed the games against Notts. County Cricket team. The programmes are in the album.
In the 1950s youngsters turned up at every march hoping that a team would be a man short and they could get a game. In later years youngsters were not so enthusiastic! Mrs.Ruth Maxwell presented a Single wicket trophy for Primary schools to encourage young cricketers and the first winner was Ian Lewis who then went onto play for County School boys. Chris Ash was another boy who played for the County school boys – he was the third generation to play – his grandfather Hind and his father Raymond (who was also treasurers for 25 years.)
The Law family have been keen sportsmen and Bassingham Cricket Club would have been sadly lacking without the skills of Albert, Len, Eric and Frank.
The support of people other than players must not be forgotten – umpires, Scorers, ground staff, tea ladies, Secretary, Fixture Secretary and Treasurer and also the regular loyal spectators. Money raising was always necessary. The Annual Christmas Whist drive and Draw run in conjunction with the Football club being the main money raising event. This paid for gang mowers, etc. The 100 club run by Tony Peacock provided useful funds.
The following notes were extracted from the accounts and minute book – all deposited at the Lincolnshire Archives:-
1928 Proceeds from dance and garden fete £1.19.4d. (nearly £2)
Subscriptions and donations varied from 2/6d to 10/-.
A collection raised 17/6d for the Pavilion Fund.
Cost of whitening 9d.Cost of tea 8/9d. 2 balls 15/-
Bat, balls and gloves £2.14.0.
One new bat £1.6.0. Bus fares to Welbourn 14/-
Bat repairs and score book 5/-.
1929. Printing fixture cards 4/-
Subscriptions – Dr.Johnson, Mr.Bates, Mr.H.Collin. Mr.C.H.Tinley. Mr.W.E.Battersby, Mr.George Clark.
A.G.M. held February 1932 in Wesleyan school.Mr.Hind Ash in the chair. The balance sheet was read and passed.
It was resolved to give Miss.Blanche Kelley 5/- for tea services.
Officers elected en bloc with Mr.Battersby as a Vice President in place of Mr.Naylor.